Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Candle Making

Today I wanted to do something a little different. The children are very keen on painting but it is not one of my favourite activities. Since I know that they were painting this morning, I was determined to find something else to do. I came across some wax pellets and wicks in the cupboard for candle making. 

I'm sure you all know that candle making involves heating up the wax until it melts so are probably wondering why I  am crazy enough to try this with the children around. Well, I set the children up on the other side of the kitchen bench and had them measure out the wicks and cut them to size (the reason why all the wicks are different sizes!). They then had to work out how to hang them over the little glasses. With these two they have used a paint brush. 


James decided that we needed a heat mat (good idea - not sure why I didn't think of it first!)


Then all that was left was for me to melt the wax in the microwave for 4 minutes, add the colour and scented oil and pour it in.

 There are a few dips in the top of the candle - curious fingers testing if the candle was ready to use. Although I don't advocate poking fingers into setting candles, it does give it that extra something that says 'I made this just for you'

No comments:

Post a Comment