Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Glass Tile Pendants

I went along to the craft fair last month and was determined to find a project to make with the kids that could then be given as gifts. Sounds easy? Well, I discovered to my chagrin that the craft fair mostly caters to adults. After circling the stalls once I had to make my way around a second time scouring the stalls for something I could bring home for the boys to make. In the end I came up with a glass tile pendant kit. The lady on the stall assured me that it was extremely simple, suitable for all ages and hard to make a mistake with. It ticked all the boxes, and I was sold when she told me that each kit contained enough to make 9 items. 

On arriving home I inspected the kit closely and discovered that there were a variety of beautiful papers to chose from to decorate my jewellery.

To make the pendants there are only a few steps.

1. Pick a paper that you like and is larger than the pendant you want to attach it to.
2. Cover the back of the pendant with diamond glaze and press it onto the paper then leave it to dry

Waiting for the diamond glaze to dry

 3. Once the glaze has dried, take a sharp pair of scissors or sharp knife and trim the excess paper from the pendant. It is best to do this at an angle so that there is no paper left overhanging the edge
4. Coat the paper with 2 coats of clear nail varnish or diamond glaze and leave it to dry again
the trimmed pendants waiting to have a bail attached
5. Super glue a bail to the back of the pendant (or glue to something else!)

The only part I wouldn't let the children do was use the super glue. I told them it was strong enough to glue their fingers together and only adults were allowed to use super glue safely. It was then rather mortifying when I did accidentally glue my fingers together while finishing the tiles.

Here are two of the finished tiles.



1 comment: