Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Volcanoes

We went to a session on Volcanoes at Science Time (Questacon - the local science museum) and discovered that bi-carb soda and vinegar is useful for more than just cleaning. In fact, if you have a volcano then you can colour the vinegar red and use it to mimic an eruption.

I had a volcano making kit in my cupboard, but had previously thought that the children were too young for it. After seeing how much fun they had at Science Time, I changed my mind. With a little help from me, the children mixed up the plaster and poured it in to the mould. We left it to dry.


Once the volcano was dry we removed the plastic mould and painted it a murky brown (I had to look up my colour chart to help me remember how to make a brown colour paint as I didn't have any - it is green and red for anyone who wants to know!)


Waiting for it to dry...again. And then the explosion. I found a big tub to put it in and let the kids loose with the vinegar and bi-carb. I find it hilarious to sit and listen to the children making up stories about the dinosaurs they have set up around the volcano.


No comments:

Post a Comment