Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Papier-mâché Hot Air Balloon

The glue recipe I use are 1 part flour to 5 parts water. I mix the flour with an equal amount of water first to get rid of the lumps before I add the rest of the water. I then heat it up in a pot on the stove until the mixture thickens. Since we tend to complete our papier-mâché over a few days, I usually add a few spoons of salt to the mix and store it in the fridge.

This was another occasion when we found that the balloons were piling up around the house again. We decided to do some papier-mâché, and covered the balloon. We weren't really sure of what we were going to make with it, but we had a few days between covering the balloon and it drying completely to work out. It just so happened that the hot air balloon festival coincided with this project, so the boys settled on making a hot air balloon. Rummaging around in the craft cupboard turned up a basket I had started to make and was unhappy with the result, so  I had abandoned. It would be perfect for the basket of the balloon.

When the shell of the balloon was dry, I divided the balloon up into 8 segments and left the boys to paint it. They took it in turns painting their segments. Once it was dry we attached the basket with scraps of wool and the boys made little people to travel in it. The balloon has been on all sorts of adventures with the boys. 






1 comment:

  1. what a gorgeous blog!!! well done karen, look fwd to following along and getting inspired :)

    ReplyDelete