Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Swan Costumes

Having a child at school means that occasionally I am faced with the need to scrabble around my cupboards to produce a costume in record time.

So, dear friends, we have today's problem. How to make a swan costume so my son can go as one of the Wild Swans to his fairy tale dress up at school this week. My google search failed me. I couldn't find any pictures of swan costumes for boys. Why is it that dressing up as a swan seems to be considered a girls domain?

After stewing on this for a few days I have decided to bite the bullet and make up my own pattern for the costume. Or rather, go to the shops and buy a white hoodie to add wings to. At the shops I found a gorgeous fluffy jacket that serves the purpose. Two circles of black felt with googly eyes stuck to them and an orange triangle with a black v glued on make the swan face on the hood, and some tulle with ruffled edges make the wings.
Finished swan costume. Just need to find the child to try it on!

Phew. If only my kids remain happy with the home made effort for their schooling lives, I'll be happy.

2 comments:

  1. Well done. We had the same issue with Sidney and Amber. They have to dress up as their favourite book or TV character this Thursday. As usual, I am clueless and can't sew a button to save myself. Tony came to the rescue by handpicking a few items to make Sidney look like a Twig (?) from Roald Dahl's book and Amber decided to go as sleeping beauty again. I wish I could sew but I am not a domestic goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! I'm sure he'll make a gorgeous swan. :D

    ReplyDelete